Friday, May 7, 2010

Graduation

'Tis an interesting thing, is graduation. The idea of having finished something so time consuming like high school or college...and then it's over, and you "graduate."

Tonight I went to the graduation for TMC students out in Santa Clarita. It brought back so many memories of this day last year when I was the one walking across that stage to get my diploma and wearing the funny cap and gown. It's hard to believe that it's been a year since that day.

I remember being in college and thinking that three years would take forever and that graduating was a long way away. It ended up coming a lot faster than I thought it would, and now it's already another year later. And so much has happened since I graduated, I wouldn't even have thought it possible.

In my mind, graduation is just the fancy way of showing that you have completed something (like an amount of school or completing a degree). It's a symbol of accomplishment. For me personally, it meant finishing three years of study at The Master's College. Learning not only academic knowledge, but learning many life lessons. I learned so much in my time there, but I'd have to say that most of what I remember and still use today, is either what I learned about the Bible, or the lessons I learned about life. God used the time when I was at Master's to teach me some very valuable lessons, and ones I hope I never forget. So, when I walked across that stage, it wasn't just to show that I passed all my classes...it was also showing that I had made it through many challenges and life lessons those three years. I kind of think that was really the most important part of my college education...not the piece of paper that says I have a Bachelors Degree from The Master's College. One thing my dad used to tell me while I was still in college, "the piece of paper represents the fact that you persevered, were diligent, had a goal, and made it through." This was his encouragement to me when I was ready to give up and was having a really hard time. There was one semester I remember having such a hard time that I was thinking about quitting and never going back. It was the semester when my Uncle Chris died, I was taking 21 units, I was in four choirs, and I went on two choir tours. I wanted to give up so badly, I just got to the point where I didn't think I could do it anymore. But then Daddy so kindly gave me his "words of wisdom," I got back on track, God gave me the strength to persevere, and I was able to finish.

Anyway, just some thoughts I was thinking about graduating, college, and looking back on last year. Graduating from college is a great accomplishment, but I think what you take away from it is what is most important.

No comments:

Post a Comment