Sunday, April 11, 2010

Daddy...

So, the big news in our family right now is that Daddy got a new job. It's a little bit different, and not exactly what I would expect that he would do...but it's something, and for that we are all grateful. The process of finding a job has been a very long one for Daddy, and maybe it's not over yet, but God has been so faithful in providing for our family up until now, I have no doubt that He will continue to do so in the future.

Daddy has been training for the last three weeks to get his Class A Drivers License. By the grace of God he passed all of his tests and did very well. He just got hired by Werner Enterprises as a truck driver this last week, so everything has been happening rather quickly. He left Thursday night to go to Orientation on Friday and Saturday in Fontana, CA. Last we heard, he was supposed to be leaving this morning with his trainer for a long haul trip for 6 to 9 weeks. That means he'll be returning end of May/beginning of June (hopefully).

Needless to say, our family has a lot to adjust to in the next few weeks/months. Life will definitely be a little different, especially for my younger siblings. Shaina and I remember when Daddy used to be gone all the time as a Flight Engineer, but the other kids don't really remember that, so it will be more of an adjustment for them I think. Also, for my mom, I know she really liked how much Daddy has been able to be home the last few years...but now that is changing, so she'll have to get used to him being gone all the time all over again.

I have very mixed feelings about Daddy's new job. It's not what I expected, that is for sure. It's also hard for me to see my dad, someone who has been trained to serve in ministry and who has a passion for training/counseling people biblically, going and being a truck driver. It's just hard to think about sometimes. Not to belittle any job, but it's just so different from what Daddy has wanted to do..."truck driving" has never been on his "what I want to do when I grow up" list. But, I just have to remind myself that our plans are not God's plans, and at least for right now, this is what God has for Daddy. Just because we want something, or are working towards something, doesn't mean it will happen or turn out the way we want it to. We have to learn to trust God and His plan for us. Maybe this is God's way of teaching my family to completely trust him.

Please pray for our family as we go through this new transition and get used to Daddy being gone all the time. You could especially pray for Daddy as he is learning this new job and is having to adjust to everything that goes along with it. And honestly, just for strength and endurance as he's driving. I'm pretty sure there will be some pretty long days when he's driving by himself that won't be very fun.

A lot has happened this last week, and my heart has been heavy. I've had a lot to think about, and a lot of things are changing. And well, it's just been a hard week. But God is continually faithful, and His mercies are new every morning.

A friend so kindly reminded me of this passage, and it has been so helpful and encouraging to me lately.

"Therefore, since we have been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ. Through him we have also obtained access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and we rejoice in hope of the glory of God. More than that, we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, and hope does not put us to shame, because God's love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us."
Romans 5:1-5

May God continually remind me of this promise as I go through this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment