Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Funny conversation...

Some people are pretty funny. And sometimes (like today) these funny people come into my office and talk to me.

So it all started with me minding my own business (of course) and doing my work at church. It was a very normal Wednesday morning. It was getting close to when I leave and Mrs. Jackson came in. Mrs. Jackson is a very sweet and kind older lady at our church and she wants to help make a "Visitor Corner" for our foyer. Anyway, she was coming to talk to me about making some brochures and fliers. So, we were talking and discussing, and then guess who walks in? Well, it was Mrs. Buckland. Now Mrs. Buckland is a very funny older lady. And I mean "very." She's one of those ladies that looks pretty normal and "sweet"...but then you get to know her...well, she's just hilarious in my opinion. : -) Anyway, she comes in and wanted to talk to Pastor Roger about getting some new linoleum for the fellowship hall and kitchen (she thinks what we have now is "ridiculously old and filthy!" And no matter how much I scrub it...it just won't get clean!"). Anyway, Pastor Roger was not in his office because he is attending the Shepherds Conference at Grace Community Church for the next couple of days, so she wasn't able to talk to him. Well, she decided Mrs. Jackson and I would do, so she stayed for a while. Then Mrs. Nuss Sr. walks in. "Hmmm, it's a party" was my thought. Mrs. Nuss had also wanted to talk to Pastor Roger about something, but got easily sidetracked and started talking with Mrs. Buckland and Mrs. Jackson instead. And just for the record, Mrs. Nuss is yet another sweet older lady from our church. Anyway, here they all are just standing around my desk chatting away. Well, the conversation somehow got started on where Pastor Roger was (Shepherds Conference) and the pastors we are hosting at our church this week for the conference. It turns out Mrs. Buckland wanted to know if any of the pastors were single men, and she had told Pastor Roger if any were, that she wanted to have them over for dinner so they could meet her 36 yr. old daughter. This struck me as slightly comical, so I started laughing. Hmmm, that was a mistake. Because then she (and they) turned their attention to me and said something like "well, wouldn't you go out with one of them if they asked you? I mean, they're pastors." (implying that that is just the best) I stammered and hedged as much as I could, and then finally said, "well, no I probably wouldn't." And then they all just looked at me. "What! Why not? You're the church secretary, you'd make a perfect pastor's wife!" (this was all said by Mrs. Buckland) Next question was: "How old are you dear?" asked by Mrs. Nuss. After I answered they were all like, "well, don't you want to get married one of these days?" And yet another question: "Are you seeing anyone dear?" was asked by Mrs. Jackson. "Hmmm, well, ummm...no I am not." (my first thoughts were "well, I'm seeing you all right now...", but I knew that wasn't what she had meant, and the way things were going with this interrogation/match-making conversation meant that I'd probably just have to answer anyway) "Oh, such a shame, what's a nice girl like you doing without a beau?" this was also said by Mrs. Jackson. "Well, at least she's not 36! At this rate, I'm never gonna get grandchildren... We can work on getting her married off after I get my daughter married off." this was spoken by Mrs. Buckland. And again, I couldn't help laughing, these ladies were so funny. they continued a little while longer on their match-making conversation and then finally decided they were going to leave. It had been about 30 minutes already. As they were leaving Mrs. Jackson said she'd keep her eye out for any eligible young men that would be good for me, and then Mrs. Buckland said "You should really tell your mom to have the single pastors over for dinner too." As soon as they all left I just started laughing...what a funny conversation. All because Pastor Roger was gone at a conference this morning with pastors and some of them might happen to be single (poor fellows).

Needless to say, I didn't really accomplish anything that last half an hour. I did have a good laugh though, and that was nice. Anyway, I thought it was a very comical conversation. : -)

1 comment: